Chowed prop & Rudder this weekend
Posted: 07 June 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2011-05-09

Had a rough start to the season this year…..ten minutes out of the dock I hit something pretty hard, torched the prop and bent my rudder, the rudder port is still good.  Been thru this area hundreds of times and whammo all of a sudden.

Talked to the parts dept. @Sanger and they said three week lead time…ouch

Image Attachments
IMAG0097.jpgIMAG0096.jpg

Posted: 07 June 2011 12:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-05-13
silverlakesanger - 07 June 2011 12:39 PM

Had a rough start to the season this year…..ten minutes out of the dock I hit something pretty hard, torched the prop and bent my rudder, the rudder port is still good.  Been thru this area hundreds of times and whammo all of a sudden.

Talked to the parts dept. @Sanger and they said three week lead time…ouch

Ouch & Bummer ...  hope you get back on the water quickly!  Where/what water were you on?

Posted: 07 June 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-09

We are up on a small lake in Washington….first real nice day we’ve had this year

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Fanatic
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  194
Joined  2011-05-08

Oh man that sucks!  That prop looked fairly new too.

Posted: 07 June 2011 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  32
Joined  2011-05-13

Which lake were you on? You sould be able to get those both fixed at the prop shop in mukilteo. The prop is probably $100-$125 to get fixed and the rudder for under $100. Hmm, at second glance that prop may be beyond repair.

Posted: 07 June 2011 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2011-05-06

Sorry that happen to you.. I’ve been down that road. I’ve had my boat fixed, replace prop, rudder, trak fins, drive shaft. Got it on monday the following
sunday I hit a log on the Sac river. I lipped it back for 45min. I ended up fixing it myself. straightening up the prop. (four blade Oj). And had a machine-shop straighten up the strut. Check out this site they have part for your boat.  I’ve seen worse props fixed, I guess it depends on the shop. Hope that helps.
http://www.elberts.com/

Posted: 07 June 2011 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-05-13
melgardlx20 - 07 June 2011 06:29 PM

Sorry that happen to you.. I’ve been down that road. I’ve had my boat fixed, replace prop, rudder, trak fins, drive shaft. Got it on monday the following
sunday I hit a log on the Sac river. I lipped it back for 45min. I ended up fixing it myself. straightening up the prop. (four blade Oj). And had a machine-shop straighten up the strut. Check out this site they have part for your boat.  I’ve seen worse props fixed, I guess it depends on the shop. Hope that helps.

geez ...  your story sounds like a big-time bummer.  Is your boat the 215 I saw at Bob Bense’s shop?

Posted: 08 June 2011 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  80
Joined  2011-05-06
XAV8R - 07 June 2011 07:25 PM
melgardlx20 - 07 June 2011 06:29 PM

geez ...  your story sounds like a big-time bummer.  Is your boat the 215 I saw at Bob Bense’s shop?

No buddy I had my boat in fremont, West Coast Offshore

Posted: 22 June 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2011-05-27

Sorry to hear that. 

I did that the first year I got my DLX - about 4 summers ago.  Our lake regularly is up and down and it got down pretty low which exposes all kinds of rock.  I was idling out of the dock area also and WHAM!  Most horrible sound ever.  It must have just been at the lowest point of the prop cause I never saw it and I even jumped in the water and couldn’t find it.

Luckily, our local Marine prop company could straighten it out…only 2 of the 4 blades were affected.

I actually had them (at their recommendation) re-shape it so it is more like the ACME 911 now.  TONS of low end now.

I’m surprised that these parts aren’t more readily available.  You can get a prop this afternoon if you want.

Posted: 06 July 2011 10:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-06-28

did you ever get that fixed?
try nettleprops.com talk to jt or robert ...these guys know their stuff
they provide service for austin, san antonio and other surrounding boat shops!
great prices on new acme props!
tell them mr ochoa sent you (and no i dont get anything out of this)
these guys are just plain good ol boys that deserve the recomendation

Posted: 27 June 2012 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2012-06-27

Glad I’m not the only one!  Took the rudder off, bent the strut, shaft and trashed the prop this weekend on the Ohio River.  Ran over a very large tree submerged. The shaft got into the thru hull a little and the prop got up into the hull slightly.  Just enough to go through the gel coat.  Anyone know how to uncouple the prop shaft from the V-drive?  It’s a 2006 V230

Image Attachments
IMG_1883.JPG

Posted: 28 June 2012 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-09

WOW

‹‹ Adding PerfectPass to 04 V215      Fluids ››