2 of 3
Surf Gate update
Posted: 14 July 2013 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-06-04

Yes.  When it is straight back there is only a minimum counter steer.  When I tried a bit out at an angle the counter steer pushed the prop wash onto the wave face.  It seems that delaying or disrupting the water off the side does the trick.  I’ve heard that the Malibu gate is in line with the boat when fully deployed. Makes sense. 
I next want to try different (gate) sizes to find the minimum functional size. The Malibu gate is only about 18-20” long and about a foot high.  It is also lifted upward toward the end.  Lots if things to try.  That’s half the fun!

Posted: 19 July 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2012-08-17

So how have you attached the gate to the platform/boat?

Posted: 02 August 2013 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2011-06-09

Ok.  Have been email with Greg about the DYI surf gate.

I have a 2009 DLX with the 8.1.  All I can say is that with the “redneck” gate I fabbed up, there is really a difference.  I would put up a pic, but I have no idea how to get them off my blackberry.  Suffice to say it is similar to Greg’s (plywood).  AS the DLX has the straight transom - it was relatively easy to jury rig for this farmer.  Took me and the old man about 1/2 hour with the table saw, jigsaw and drill.

Started out with a 10 degree out from the boat (as per the guys on the malibu forum).  Finally just wen back to straight as per Greg’s recommendations.  Works really well.  Appears that the farther that you angle out, the farther back the pocket goes.  Now - it appears that have a great pocket with good push about 8 feet off the platform.  Perfect for the kids.

So now I am going to get a buddy to fab one out of HDME plastic.  I was thinking of permanent mounting with actuators, etc.  But I don’t see the point.  Usually when we surf - everyone surf.  I can put this thing on and off in about 2 minutes - way faster than the bags fill up in any event.

So I have one bag across the back seat (750 lbs) with the stock ballast tank, and just filled up the front.  All seems to work good.  Kids are all happy - and that is the main thing.  And dad doesn’t have to buy a new boat.

Posted: 11 August 2013 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-08-19

Okay - I put something together yesterday and am going to get out today and try it.  For now - my prototype is made of plywood, glued and screwed.  The top and bottom horizontal pieces hold it pretty tight to the swim platform - and the just used a nylon rope with tie down hooks (that lock the rope).  The rope is much longer than I need - that’s why it’s wrapped so many times around the hook eye / tie downs.

It feels pretty darned solid - we’ll see.  If this works - I’ll make something out of teak so it matches the swim platform.

Pictures of the wave to hopefully follow tomorrow . . .

Image Attachments
Gate1.JPGGate2.JPGGate3.JPGGate5.JPG

Posted: 11 August 2013 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19

Well, well, well . . .  I’ve got to say this was a success.  We put the contraption on - tried it with around 300# in Port bag and then around 700# in Port bag.  Nothing in the front bag at all.  I’ll let the pics speak for themselves.  My younger son is 13 and about 115# - he could surf more than 20’ back from the boat and had a great pocket anywhere from 6-12’ or so from the boat.  My other son is around 6’2”, around 180#.  The Rope they’re using is 24’ (18’ rope with 2 - 3’ extensions).  The still photos surfing are captures from our GoPro video - and I reduced them for the website.

I got a bit of spray from the contraption - because it was an inch or so back from the transom.  I’m going to fabricate a teak one - and put some rubber weatherstripping on to get a better seal and less spray.  Surf’s up!

Any questions - let me know.

Image Attachments
IMG_0005.JPGIMG_0007.JPGStill_1.jpegStill_2.jpegStill_3.jpegStill_4.jpegStill_5.jpegStill_6.jpegStill_7.jpegStill_8.jpegStill_9.jpeg

Posted: 12 August 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2012-12-12

I’m glad that it worked because I pretty much copied that design yesterday almost finished. Couple of questions. Is Your boat a v230? any weight in the starboard side?  Mark

Posted: 12 August 2013 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
River Rat - 12 August 2013 05:57 AM

I’m glad that it worked because I pretty much copied that design yesterday almost finished. Couple of questions. Is Your boat a v230? any weight in the starboard side?  Mark

Mark -

Yes, it’s a V230 (2006).  No weight in the starboard side.  I’m going to mess around with the weight on the port side and see how it affects the wave - but, for right now - huge improvement.

Dan

Posted: 12 August 2013 08:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Fanatic
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  203
Joined  2011-05-08

those waves look awesome!

Posted: 14 August 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2012-04-11

Great looking wave.  Can’t wait to see more pictures.

Posted: 06 September 2013 07:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2013-09-04
sledhead - 02 August 2013 09:32 AM

Ok.  Have been email with Greg about the DYI surf gate.

I have a 2009 DLX with the 8.1.  All I can say is that with the “redneck” gate I fabbed up, there is really a difference.  I would put up a pic, but I have no idea how to get them off my blackberry.  Suffice to say it is similar to Greg’s (plywood).  AS the DLX has the straight transom - it was relatively easy to jury rig for this farmer.  Took me and the old man about 1/2 hour with the table saw, jigsaw and drill.

Started out with a 10 degree out from the boat (as per the guys on the malibu forum).  Finally just wen back to straight as per Greg’s recommendations.  Works really well.  Appears that the farther that you angle out, the farther back the pocket goes.  Now - it appears that have a great pocket with good push about 8 feet off the platform.  Perfect for the kids.

So now I am going to get a buddy to fab one out of HDME plastic.  I was thinking of permanent mounting with actuators, etc.  But I don’t see the point.  Usually when we surf - everyone surf.  I can put this thing on and off in about 2 minutes - way faster than the bags fill up in any event.

So I have one bag across the back seat (750 lbs) with the stock ballast tank, and just filled up the front.  All seems to work good.  Kids are all happy - and that is the main thing.  And dad doesn’t have to buy a new boat.

When you say you can put it on in two minutes, is this something you do on the water, or before you head out?
I would like to see pics of your gate, and how it’s attached. I’m wanting to try something similar.
Thanks!

Posted: 08 September 2013 10:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
SurfPig - 06 September 2013 07:34 AM

When you say you can put it on in two minutes, is this something you do on the water, or before you head out?
I would like to see pics of your gate, and how it’s attached. I’m wanting to try something similar.
Thanks!

I put mine on in the water - takes a minute or two. Slides over the swim platform.  Really simple.

Posted: 04 February 2014 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-01-24
Cheesesteak - 11 August 2013 10:05 PM

Well, well, well . . .  I’ve got to say this was a success.  We put the contraption on - tried it with around 300# in Port bag and then around 700# in Port bag.  Nothing in the front bag at all.  I’ll let the pics speak for themselves.  My younger son is 13 and about 115# - he could surf more than 20’ back from the boat and had a great pocket anywhere from 6-12’ or so from the boat.  My other son is around 6’2”, around 180#.  The Rope they’re using is 24’ (18’ rope with 2 - 3’ extensions).  The still photos surfing are captures from our GoPro video - and I reduced them for the website.

I got a bit of spray from the contraption - because it was an inch or so back from the transom.  I’m going to fabricate a teak one - and put some rubber weatherstripping on to get a better seal and less spray.  Surf’s up!

Great work on Engineering the Surf Plate! Help me out though, in your pics you show the Plate on the Starboard side, but all pics are with surfers on Port side? Also, do you think 3/4” HDPE Plastic would work instead of wood?

Posted: 05 February 2014 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
award - 04 February 2014 03:50 PM

Great work on Engineering the Surf Plate! Help me out though, in your pics you show the Plate on the Starboard side, but all pics are with surfers on Port side? Also, do you think 3/4” HDPE Plastic would work instead of wood?

The “Plate” goes on the opposite side of the surfer.  It delays convergence of the wake behind the boat - so, when installed on the Starboard side - it lengthens the wave on the Port side.  I don’t know if 3/4” HDPE would work.  It’s probably easier to shape and work with.  If you try it - you’ll also need to be sure the joints have appropriate strength.

Posted: 05 February 2014 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2013-01-24
Cheesesteak - 05 February 2014 11:35 AM
award - 04 February 2014 03:50 PM

The “Plate” goes on the opposite side of the surfer.  It delays convergence of the wake behind the boat - so, when installed on the Starboard side - it lengthens the wave on the Port side.  I don’t know if 3/4” HDPE would work.  It’s probably easier to shape and work with.  If you try it - you’ll also need to be sure the joints have appropriate strength.

Ok, it all makes sense now! There is a post on wakeworld about raising and/or making swim platform smaller to enhance wake. Do you have any thoughts on these tricks on the Sanger? One guy did mention that Sanger has a smooth bottom which helps. http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1682729

Posted: 17 February 2014 08:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2012-08-23
Cheesesteak - 11 August 2013 10:05 PM

This is exactly what I am looking for!  I have a 2005 V230 and I am just not happy with the length of the pocket for surfing.

I added the 1100 lb bags in the back and have a nice sized wave but it seems like the sweet spot is right behind the boat.

Do any of you guys have plans/dimensions that you used?

Also, any update or lessons learned since last summer? This looks like a great addition and I love the idea of starting cheap to see how things look. I’ve considered putting in the trim tabs on as “surf tabs” but I wonder if this would work better anyway.

2 of 3

‹‹ 1100 Pound Surf Sac      Pop-up Pylon ››