1 of 2
Replace Rear Factory Ballast with 1100# Fat Sac
Posted: 27 June 2013 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2012-08-19

So - now that we’re getting into surfing a bit more with our V230 - I decided to add more weight to the back of the boat.  I didn’t want to use lead (don’t want the weight in the boat full time) and wanted to just use the pumps already in the boat.  So - I picked up an 1100# Fat Sac and a kit from WakeMakers to swap the hard tank out for the Fat Sac.

Removing the hard tank wasn’t that tough.  Removed the clamps, removed the screws holding the brackets to the floor of the compartment - a bit of twisting and elbow grease - and out it came.

The kit included all the hoses and fittings to make it a pretty clean swap.  it included quick disconnect fittings so I can just pop them off and remove the bag with little effort.  It also included a new fill hose from the fill pump to the Fat Sac, which includes a ball / check valve (not on the original equipment).  I removed the existing fill hose from the pump to the old tank and replaced it with the new hose / check valve - put the new quick disconnect fittings on the drain and vent hoses - set the Fat Sac in the compartment and just connected it all up.  Maybe a 60-90 minute job all together. 

The kit did include a separate new piece that I show a picture of - for the drain line to hook up directly to a drain pump.  That configuration didn’t work for the V230 - because the drain pump is located too far forward for such a short piece of hose.

I’ll take a pic when I get back on the water and fill the Sac - to see how it looks in the compartment.

Pics attached -

Image Attachments
IMG_4084.jpgIMG_4086.jpgIMG_4087.jpgIMG_4091.jpgIMG_4088.jpgIMG_4089.jpgIMG_4096.jpgIMG_4098.jpgIMG_4085.jpg

Posted: 18 July 2013 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19

For comparison -

This pic shows our surf wake with the factory port ballast full (250#) and the front bag at around 400#.  5 people on the boat - 2 adults, 3 kids.

Image Attachments
OldWake.JPG

Posted: 18 July 2013 09:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19

These pics show the wake after the swap- taking our the factory hard tank and installing the 1100# fat sac.

The first pic is with the port bag with around 500# in it, front factory bag around 400#, 8 people on the boat (mostly kids). 

The second pic is with the port bag with around 800# in it, front factory bag around 400#, 5 people on the boat (mostly kids).  We’re still working on getting the wake dialed in - but this was pretty good (I think).

Image Attachments
RyanSurf.JPGWakeBallast.JPG

Posted: 19 July 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-07-18

Looks good, still trying to dial mine in with the 1100#

Posted: 19 July 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2012-08-25

Nice wave, I look forward to installing my 750 bags in my V215

Posted: 19 July 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-18

here she is.

Image Attachments
inwater.jpgphoto.JPG

Posted: 20 July 2013 09:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-08-27

I just had my second factory ballast elbow break and I’m officially tired of how much of pain it is to replace them ... so now contemplating this set up for my ‘07 V230. How does this affect the removable walls for your engine compartment? Did you have to brace them or is there enough room that the sac won’t push them out into the engine?

Posted: 22 July 2013 09:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
davidave - 19 July 2013 09:45 PM

here she is.

Nice looking wake.  I’m trying to get my pocket pushed back a bit more - I’m amazed at how sensitive the wake is to the shifting of weight in the boat (and speed).

Posted: 22 July 2013 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
jasander77 - 20 July 2013 09:48 PM

I just had my second factory ballast elbow break and I’m officially tired of how much of pain it is to replace them ... so now contemplating this set up for my ‘07 V230. How does this affect the removable walls for your engine compartment? Did you have to brace them or is there enough room that the sac won’t push them out into the engine?

Yeah - I had one break as well.  I read that Sanger will send a replacement for free (apparently - they break easily). 

I have not noticed any movement or pressure on the wall between the engine and storage compartment.  That removable wall seems pretty sturdy - and the bag seems to hold its shape on its own pretty well.

On a somewhat related note - the drain fitting on the bottom of the fat sac is pretty good sized - and makes the fat sac want to sit out 3-4” from the transom indent (below swim platform).  If you just leave the bag in - the bag tries to fill to the transom and puts pressure on that fitting.  I was going to build something to brace / support the fitting - but then just tried reinstalling the removable wall Sanger has in the back of that compartment.  Seems to work fine - but it will reduce the space for the fat sac to fill.  If I were to do it again - I might look at a different size sac or maybe have one custom made to fit this space.  Here are a couple of pictures of what I’m talking about - you can see that reinstalling the removable wall prevents the bag from creating pressure on that drain fitting.

Image Attachments
Anglefitting.jpgFittingBoard.JPG

Posted: 24 July 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-27

Thanks for the quick response along with the additional pics and insight. Definitely not something I had considered.

I’m wondering if there is really enough pressure in that localized area to eventually damage the fitting? Seems like it wouldn’t unless the bag was about to burst at the seams since the water would be displaced. Either way this makes me give it a second thought.

We purchased our boat new in ‘07 and the last time I surfed was later that same year when someone brought a Fat Sac 750# along and I was able to try surfing without the rope. Since then I’ve just let our surf board sit there because it’s just not the same and setting up an additional bag every time and then having to change it due to a rider’s footing seemed like such a PITA ... so I never bought one. But after seeing your post I instantly became excited I may have a solution.

Curious to know how happy you are with the setup overall? What is the minimum number of people you’ve had in the boat and still had a usable surf wave? The instance I described above .. the front and one rear ballast (goofy vs regular) was used in addition to the 750 ... so 1250 lbs in the rear approx. There were three of us ... so two people in the boat at a time. I don’t remember how long the pocket was ... but it was a very usable wave.

Posted: 25 July 2013 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19
jasander77 - 24 July 2013 01:44 PM

Thanks for the quick response along with the additional pics and insight. Definitely not something I had considered.

I’m wondering if there is really enough pressure in that localized area to eventually damage the fitting? Seems like it wouldn’t unless the bag was about to burst at the seams since the water would be displaced. Either way this makes me give it a second thought.

We purchased our boat new in ‘07 and the last time I surfed was later that same year when someone brought a Fat Sac 750# along and I was able to try surfing without the rope. Since then I’ve just let our surf board sit there because it’s just not the same and setting up an additional bag every time and then having to change it due to a rider’s footing seemed like such a PITA ... so I never bought one. But after seeing your post I instantly became excited I may have a solution.

Curious to know how happy you are with the setup overall? What is the minimum number of people you’ve had in the boat and still had a usable surf wave? The instance I described above .. the front and one rear ballast (goofy vs regular) was used in addition to the 750 ... so 1250 lbs in the rear approx. There were three of us ... so two people in the boat at a time. I don’t remember how long the pocket was ... but it was a very usable wave.

I am very happy with the setup now - and my kids are thrilled with it - and love wakesurfing.  The fat sac in the rear locker is better than adding 750# on the seat - because it’s closer to the back corner of the boat.  As for the number of people - as I’ve only filled the bag up around 3/4 of the way - my thought is I would get that wave with 2-3 people on board.  Most of the people, when we go, are kids in their early teens.  So - each weighs between 90-130 pounds.  Not much added weight.

Next time out - I’m going to fill the bag and just spend some time driving and seeing what works best for the wake.  I’ve got the Bennet tab on my V230 - so I’ll try combinations with weight up front and see what the tab does for the length of the pocket. 

Again - I don’t know that we’d surf much with the factory ballast - and I don’t know that I’d want to mess with additional pumps and sacs on the seats.  This way - it was a nice, clean swap and I just hit the same fill/drain switch as I used to.  Makes everything nice and simple - easy to use - so we use it.

Now - if I can just get on Folsom Lake before the drain it all the way to the mud . . .

Posted: 27 July 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2013-07-18
Cheesesteak - 22 July 2013 09:37 AM
davidave - 19 July 2013 09:45 PM

here she is.

Nice looking wake.  I’m trying to get my pocket pushed back a bit more - I’m amazed at how sensitive the wake is to the shifting of weight in the boat (and speed).

thank you very sensitive to weight shift and
placment as well as water depth as it changes to. thats with the 1100# in rear locker probally filled 90percent and the stock front full only my wife and me in the boat, the pic doesnt so it well but its definitely ridable 10.4 mph

Posted: 29 July 2013 08:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-08-27

If you think about it. Take note of what its like with the tab(s) in the neutral position ... I only have the seemingly pointless static wake plate. I’ve thought about adding a set of those as well ... not sure if I’d ever be able to convince the wife we need them though. Would probably be easier to go buy a new 237.

Posted: 11 August 2013 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-08-19

I added a “home made” wake surf gate contraption and am amazed at how much longer the pocket is.  Check out my post on Wake Surf Update here:  http://www.sangernation.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/853/P15/#2715

Compare my previous pics (wake) to these (with less weight) . . .

Image Attachments
Still_7.jpegStill_4.jpeg

Posted: 22 August 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2012-08-04

I too bought a pair of wake makers sanger conversion kits to add 11oo’s to the lockers and take the hard tanks out on my 2012 215.  The concept is great.

A couple of things.

1)  I could NOT get the hard tanks out no matter what I did.  They just did not fit (maybe the 230 has more room?).  I took a sawzil to them so they are out and in the trash.  If you do everything right and still cannot get the tanks out in 60 minutes, don’t waste your time.  Are you really ever going to put them back in again??  riiiiiight~!

2)  Wakemakers forgot to include the fly hi quick connect fittings so after I got the set up done I could not connect the bags. While they are quickly shipping the missing parts that was a real drag.  My boat is in the water 45 minutes from home.  Another trip to the lake just to finish the job…  Moral of the story.  When you order, call them and verify all the parts.  THERE IS NO PARTS LIST IN THE KIT.

3)  If you really fill the bag, the side panels bend and they WILL break.  I am calling sanger for options.  I want to see if they will build me a sturdier board.  If not I will reinforce mine somehow.  I guess you could fill the bags to 70% BUT WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

Lastly,  I am totally sure that a near full 1100 in a locker with the front internal filled will get you surfing with a decent wave.  Adjusting 250’s or 400’s around the boat is how to best perfect it and of course with more than 3 people you have more options.

My goal is to have a monster wave with 3 total people in the boat and that includes a long wave.  THE CHASE IS 1/2 THE FUN!!  Any suggestion ESPECIALLY FOR THE PANEL BRACING????

thanks and good luck

Rick

Posted: 23 August 2013 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  108
Joined  2011-05-10

1)  I got one of em out, but cut the other same as you.  Trashed em too - no need for them anymore.  And no regrets.

3)  Regarding the side panels:  they sit in a little “U” channel on the floor.  When I fit up the 110#‘er’s I moved it inward (toward the engine).  The panels are plastic, they will flex.  Worst case is they will touch the engine and be supported there.  I moved my U channel in a couple inches to make more room for the fat sac.  Hope this helps.

Signature 

Derek - 2006 V215

1 of 2